The Opals of October
The love part…
Gemstones are amazing! Each with their own juicy, colorful goodness, plus so many shapes and sizes. I also love the symbolism of each stone, and I think about this when I’m in my creative zone. If you’re one of the lucky ones, you love your birthstone. I don’t happen to love Emeralds, my birthstone, and I’m pretty sure my hubby would never wear Pearls (giggle).
The ish part…
The meaning behind birthstones, has been somewhat randomly assigned by the commercial jewelry industry, to sell more jewelry. Sometimes there are many different interpretations for each stone, so this is kinda sketchy. So, what if you don’t love YOUR birthstone? Are you just S.O.L.? No way. If the meaning of another birthstone resonates with you, go for it. If you were born in July, but you love the rich golden color of Citrine, don’t listen to anyone’s stinkin’ rules. Buy the damn Citrine.
That said, I’ve set aside the ish part, and I’ve challenged myself to make small capsule collections of birthstone jewelry each month, in my own edgy, industrial signature style. On my bench right now, I’ve got some beautiful Opal and Pink Tourmaline for October, Citrine for November and Turquoise for December. Garnet, Amethyst and Aquamarine stones are gathering in their trays for the beginning of 2021. I think you’re gonna LOVE the combination of cut, fine stones, combined with gritty, mineral specimens and stone slices.
Just for fun, I’ve compiled a list of traditional birthstones, and their meanings below. Several months have more than one birthstone. Keep in mind, gemstones often have more than one meaning or interpretation.
Before you go, make sure you sign up for my VIP Insiders List to get updates on these new monthly capsule collections. I’ll be sending updates the first Thursday of each month to show you the collection for that month. VIP's get to see it first, so don’t miss out!
Birthstones by Month:
- Garnet: Believed to bring safety to the wearer during travel. Good health, wealth and happiness.
- Amethyst: Strengthens relationships and brings the wearer courage. Personal empowerment and inner strength.
- Aquamarine: Purity of spirit and soul.
- Bloodstone: Brings health and strength
- Diamond: Everlasting love. Courage, clarity and strength.
- Emerald: Wisdom, growth and patience.
- Pearls: Purity.
- Alexandrite: Good luck, fortune and love.
- Moonstone: Love, passion and fertility.
- Ruby: Love, passion and youthful energy.
- Peridot: Strength, shielding from evil
- Spinel: Eases anger, promotes harmony
- Sardonyx: Courage, happiness and clear communication
- Sapphire: Purity and wisdom. Sincerity, truth and faithfulness
- Opal: Purity, hope and truth
- Pink Tourmaline: Artistic expression, compassion and love
- Topaz: Long life, beauty and intelligence
- Citrine: Soothe tempers, brings calmness
- Turquoise: Health and good fortune
- Tanzanite: Transformation
- Zircon: Promotes sleep and scares off evil spirits
If you really wanna geek out on all the juicy details, you can read more about gemstones here on the GIA Website.
Leave a comment